Thursday, August 17, 2006

Proteges

The world is full of proteges. I happen to consider myself a protege of my major advisor from my undergraduate degree, Dr. Joe P. Dunn, Chair and Charles A. Dana Professor of History and Politics at Converse College. He wrote this originally for the Spartanburg Herald-Journal on 15AUG2006, but it has since been posted at About.com. I really can't summarize it, as my lack of knowledge on the Vietnam-side of the argument would lessen the overall impact of any summary. That being said, just for a taste of the article, let me say that it discusses the strategic planning and political ramifications of both the Vietnam War and the 2nd Iraq War. Anyone interested in this subject should seriously read this article.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd heard this [the article's] type of sentiment before, the lazt few months. I have not heard it from the point of view of a veteran scholar yet. (I'd heard it from some civilians, and some veteran's, but not yet a veteran scholar.) Any more, there seems a reluctance for any in or about the armed services to speak ill of a military venture or the administration in general; this prevailing wind of non-americanism, whatever hooey that is. (Veterans who don't write in the paper can afford to voice whatever opinion they want, but a published, scholarly article is different. That has a profile.) I think it is rather courageous of Dunn to voice this opinion. Makes him a good person to be a protege of. :)

1:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home